Thursday, September 11, 2008

Eggplant Ricotta

I am in the habit of calling this Eggplant Parmesan, but I actually don't use any Parmesan cheese in it, so I changed the name...Also, it's not so much a recipe as just the way I cook eggplant, so excuse the lack of specific amounts.

peel and slice 1 med.-size eggplant into 1/4 inch slices. Shake to coat slices in a ziplock bag with a little flour, salt and pepper. Dip in 3 beaten eggs, then in bread crumbs. ( I like to use italian style) In large skillet add 1/2 inch oil, heat to medium high and cook eggplant a few slices at a time till tender and light brown on both sides. Remove slices and drain on paper towels. Add more oil as needed.
cover bottom of casserole dish with your favorite spaghetti sauce. (I like sauce with chunky veggies in it for this dish) arrange 1/2 eggplant slices on top of sauce. Top each slice with a dollop of ricotta cheese, then add remaining eggplant slices, top with shredded mozzarella cheese, then more spaghetti sauce. Bake casserole for 20 minutes or till bubbly.

6 comments:

Becky A said...

so since I'm not getting much positive feedback from the eggplant, I'm backing out of my stuffed peppers for next week...is chicken and biscuits ok for next wednesday?

Steph said...

Eggplant went over good here. Thank you so much. The cucumbers and pasta were awesome too. Thank you sooooo much for helping us to try something new. As you will see by my meals, we eat very bland, easy, same ol, meals.
Thanks a ton!

Care said...

Hey! I looked up this blog and you didn't have your recipe posted or boy would I have commented!!!!!

My family LOVED IT! Did you hear my kids in the background of my phone message?! That was my favorite meal so far. (maybe I was super hungry) but it was.

I'm great with stuffed peppers for Tim and I. but whatever you want to do is also great.

Sue said...

Hey... Jeff, older kids and I loved the eggplant - loved it! The younger ones... not so much. But that's okay- they just ate cold cereal. I ate the left overs for lunch the next day. It was so good breaded like that. I'm sure it wasn't an easy one! I want this one again... when you have extra eggplant :) THANKS

Jodi said...

O.K i feel so bad I didn't comment earlier. We loved the eggplant! River asked for seconds!! I had the leftovers for lunch the next day(I even liked it better the second day) and Trevor's little brother was over and I had him try it and he loved it too! It's probably too late to tell you to stick to the peppers for Wednesday, I think my kids would like them too! Sorry I just haven't had time to comment, but the eggplant went over really well at our house! Thanks!

Becky A said...

jodi, I think the eggplant is better the next day, too. I would love to make it again, but I'm afraid our garden will be done before I get around to it. truly, sue, it's not too big of a deal to make.